Saturday, October 13, 2012

big fat sadface

Both chicks didn't make it, I suspect it was having too much faith in our old humidifier that worked without incident on many a hatch and now may be running a humidity issue, I was worried that development was stunted for the second egg, but the first one looked like it was going strong until day 19 when I noticed the air pocket was big, but there was no movement, no piping no nothing, so a day late I did an autopsy and neither had broken the membrane, so I think that would be humidity. A new humidity monitor will be found and the next hatch is set for halloween! We're not super sad, we're actually ok with it because we still got to see baby chicks that we grew, just didn't get to see them alive and fluffy! Still educational and we can still look forward to buckle up's next clutch, she's STILL broody, poor girl, but she does have a fancy new coop to call her own, complete with doilies and wallpaper. She will move into it once I get the trap door done on the floor and skirt the bottom, but for now, here is a picture of my daughter Winter with the new silkie coop...

The inside is a little ridiculous, I have to do something with the roof as it being exposed wood like that is making me crazy, and well, I may or may not have built them a soon to be solar powered chandelier...I'll update with that once I finish it.
Sorry to disappoint with the eggs, more chicks on the way so I'm sure we will have better luck on the next hatch!

Going to have to replace those photos ASAP! 



No comments:

Post a Comment